Mindful that many individuals are spending more time online given the ongoing pandemic, the AMA Foundation wants to emphasize to our friends and donors the importance of being cautious in opening communications received from third party organizations. The AMA Foundation takes privacy seriously and regularly monitors for unusual or suspicious network activity. This reminder is provided out of an abundance of caution, and the following tips are provided with your safety and privacy in mind:
- When making a charitable contribution, please never provide your credit card information via email. Either call the AMA Foundation by phone, or you can do so securely on our AMA Foundation donation page.
- Avoid clicking on any links in an unsolicited email or text message. When in doubt, you can always reach out to a trusted staff member at the AMA Foundation and ask if a request is legitimate. Do not use or click on contact information contained within the email, since it may link you directly with the scammer.
- Carefully examine the email address, URL, and spelling used in any correspondence. Scammers use slight variances to deceive and gain your trust. For example, our website is amafoundation.org; however, you might see bogus addresses, such as amafoundations.org, amarifoundation.org, or some other variation.
- Never share your username or password, social security number, or any other highly personal information in response to an email request. The AMA Foundation will never ask individuals for such information, nor would we maintain it for any reason.
- Be careful what you download. Never open an email attachment from someone you don’t know and be wary of email attachments forwarded to you.
The above tips are provided as guidance and not intended to be an exhaustive list of protections. The AMA has curated resources and additional tips for physicians and health care staff to protect patient records and other data from cyberattacks. To learn more, go here. If you have any questions regarding communications you receive from the AMA Foundation, we are always available to assist you.