All LGBTQ+ patients are treated with the highest standard of care, empathy, and dignity while having access to the best possible outcomes.
The AMA Foundation seeks to dramatically shape the future of LGBTQ+ health through our National LGBTQ+ Fellowship Program.
- Support dozens of institutions and fellows in the next five to ten years to create a more robust pipeline of LGBTQ+ health specialists more quickly. They will be able to serve the health care needs of the LGBTQ+ community while growing the pool of culturally and clinically competent instructors who will pass their knowledge to the next generation of providers.
- Serve as a convening force to move the needle in LGBTQ+ health equity by bringing together leaders in health care, the LGBTQ+ community, medical education, community organizations, and other stakeholders. Participating medical schools and the fellows themselves will present their work at a national conference each year, as well as form a network of connected experts in LGBTQ+ health.
- Sustain the fellowship program in perpetuity through an endowment for training doctors and better serving more LGBTQ+ patients.
Fellowship Commission on LGBTQ+ Health
Provide leadership and guidance for the fellowship program
Develop the fellowship Request for Proposal and eligibility requirements
Share knowledge and expertise in areas of importance to the communities served by the LGBTQ+ Fellows
The application for the 2021 National LGBTQ+ Fellowship is currently closed. Please check back in fall 2021 for the next grant cycle.
The AMA Foundation’s National LGBTQ+ Fellowship program is designed to meet the following broad objectives:
- Enhance physician training to increase knowledge, compassion, and bring awareness to the health care and institutional barriers that LGBTQ+ communities face;
- Close the gap in health disparities for LGBTQ+ people
- Enhance medical education on LGBTQ+ health, LGBTQ+ health disparities, and sex- and gender-based differences in health and health care;
- Increase the number of physicians who provide affirming care to the LGBTQ+ community that is comprehensive, team-based, patient-centered, coordinated, accessible, high quality, safe, and that is institutionally supported;
- Through this and other AMA Foundation programs, develop institutional and individual leadership qualities and initiatives to improve clinical and patient outcomes;
- Advance leadership and advocacy skills for creating organizational change to transform healthcare systems to be LGBTQ+ inclusive and affirming; and,
- Develop a fellowship program and curriculum that advances the health equity of LGBTQ+ populations.
LGBTQ Honor Fund Founding Donors
Gregory S. Blaschke, MD, MPH, FAAP Richard S. Frankenstein, MD, FACP
Matthew G. Brooker, DO Alan K. Klitzke, MD, FACNM, FACR
Joshua Cohen, MD, MPH, FAHS Mark J. Milstein, MD
Erick A. Eiting, MD, MPH John L. Pardee, IV
Jeffrey Fishberger, MD Risa M. Ravitz, MD
Interested in partnering with us to advance LGBTQ+ Health Equity? Please fill out the form below and a staff member will be happy to follow up.